XML from the UCARConnect and DLESE repositories may be harvested using the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH), which is a standardized protocol for transferring and sharing metadata across open repository systems.
Access to the OAI data provider:
The UCARConnect/DLESE OAI data provider has the following characteristics:
- The data provider contains collections of educational resources and a collection of collection metadata (metadata about the collections). Each collection in the repository is made available as an OAI set.
- Sets/collections are added and removed from the repository occasionally.
- Collections of educational resource metadata make up the majority of the repository. All educational resource metadata sets/collections are available in
oai_dc formats and some are also available in
Information about the LAR Metadata Format format.
- The contents of some sets/collections change frequently (approximately monthly), while others remain relatively static.
- No deduping is performed in the data provider. It is common to see multiple metadata records that describe the same resource URL, especially across different sets/collections.
- View available Sets using the OAI ListSets request.
A number of open source tools are available for working with OAI-PMH:
- The jOAI Tool may be used to harvest metadata to a file system.
- The OAI tools page lists additional tools that are available.
To learn about the OAI Protocol for Metadata Harvesting, see the following:
For questions and more information, please send your inquiry to UCARConnect via the contact form.