Quickstart guide to using CLM3.5
This is a short description of how to use the CLM3.5 public release.
Download source and datasets
1. Register and login to the Earth System Grid (ESG) and download the three tar-files needed (source-code, NCEPDATA, and inputdatasets).
ESG CLM3.5 website
2. Decompress (gunzip) each using:
3. Un-archive each using:
Running the model
- cd clm3.5/bld
- Edit either the run-pc.csh or run-ibm.csh scripts (depending on platform you are running on).
- Make sure a valid account number is in the script (on NCAR supercomputers).
- Put clmroot as the root path to where you installed clm3.5.
- Put CSMDATA as the root path to where you installed the clm3.5 datasets.
- Submit the script to the batch system.
Running on bluevista
- When you edit run-ibm.csh make sure you put your account number in the job que commands (under #BSUB -P ).
- To submit use:
- The results from the simulation will appear in /ptmp/$USER/clmrun.
Running with modifications
- Edit the run script to change the case name (output will then appear in /ptmp/$USER/$case).
- Edit the run script and make relevent configuration changes (either change settings in the script or add valid configure script options to the configure line).
- Edit the run script and make relevent namelist changes.
- Remove the $blddir/config_cache.xml file – to enable the script to redo the configuration ($blddir will be /ptmp/$USER/$case/bld).
- Add code modifications by putting modified code into clm3.5/bld/usr.src.
- Submit your run script again.
Running the test-suite
- cd clm3.5/test/system
- Edit test_driver.sh to put the correct path for dataroot in it.
- Submit the script by simply running it (will work on bluevista or blueice and submit itself to the queing system):
- If your machine is not available in the list – you'll have to edit test_driver.sh for the correct paths, datasets, and batch commands.
- If you need to run on a new platform – you'll also have to edit the Makefile.in and configure scripts in the clm3.5/bld directory.