Note to developers: The Strand Map Service has Moved!
As of December 2014, the SMS APIs have moved to a new location.
The APIs access a database based on the learning goals from the AAAS Benchmarks for Science Literacy and the visualizations from the AAAS Atlas of Science Literacy (AAAS Project 2061), which demonstrate the connectedness of ideas and skills that students should develop over time.
The SMS is produced by researchers from the University of Colorado at Boulder and Digital Learning Sciences, and is based on the strand maps developed by Project 2061 at the American Association for the Advancement of Science and published in the Atlas of Science Literacy, Volumes 1 and 2 (2001 and 2007, AAAS Project 2061 and the National Science Teachers Association). The Benchmarks for Science Literacy and all other AAAS content copyright American Association for the Advancement of Science, all rights reserved.
See it in Action
- Science Literacy Maps - The Science Literacy Maps is the reference implementation of SMS.
- Middle School Portal Science Resource Guides - Interactive maps incorporated into individual science resource guides for a number of topics, for example Plate Tectonics.
- NASA Wavelength Strandmaps - Part of the NASA Wavelength portal.
- Tamara Sumner, Executive Director and Associate Professor
- DLS, Institute of Cognitive Science - University of Colorado at Boulder
- John Weatherley, NSDL Technical Lead
- DLS and NSDL at UCAR
- Sharon Clark, Web Developer
- DLS and NSDL at UCAR
- Lynne Davis, HCI Engineer and Instructional Designer
- DLS at UCAR
- For suggestions, questions, and more information, please send your inquiry to NSDL via the contact form
- Overview - Overview of the SMS technology including how to harvest the benchmarks using the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting.
- CSIP REST API - The Concept Space Interchange Protocol (CSIP) REpresentational State Transfer (REST) API lets developers search and navigate objects and visualizations in the the Strand Map information space. Developers can access objects in the concept map space in number of formats including XML, OWLLite, SVG, PDF, PNG, TIFF, and JPEG.
- Resource Alignment - How to align resources to benchmarks so they will be discoverable from the Science Literacy Maps.
- Technical Training - All available technical training documentation including an FAQ.
Strand Map Service Technical Platform
The Benchmarks for Science Literacy and all other AAAS content copyright American Association for the Advancement of Science, all rights reserved.