The LAR Best Practices contain detailed instruction for each lar metadata field, however here is a brief overview of Quick-Start guide, overviewing only the required fields (field names in italics). To find definitions of the controlled fields and their vocabulary terms listed below, please see the Best Practices.
- Know the URL of the resource---this will be the resource identifier. Identifiers must be the actual URL on which the resource is located. If you would like to provide a landing page or supplemental information page, there is an optional field for that (partnerURL).
- The date of the metadata record's creation is recordDate. The date of the resource, on the other hand, is date, and must specify dateType ('Created', 'Published', or 'Modified').
- Choose the appropriate title for the resource and give a brief, informative description. Keep in mind that search results for user search terms will be ordered depending on the text in these fields.
- Select one or more subject terms from the controlled vocabulary list at http://ns.nsdl.org/ncs/lar/1.00/schemas/vocabs/subject.xsd.
- Choose language from the controlled vocabulary list at http://ns.nsdl.org/ncs/lar/1.00/schemas/vocabs/language.xsd.
- As all NSDL resources must be internet-based, determine what applications are necessary to use the resource. Then choose a format from the controlled vocabulary: http://ns.nsdl.org/ncs/lar/1.00/schemas/vocabs/format.xsd.
- Education Level is a very important search criteria. Choose which _educationLevel_ the resource is intended for from the controlled vocabulary: http://ns.nsdl.org/ncs/lar/1.00/schemas/vocabs/educationLevel.xsd.
- For audienceRefinement, choose whether your resource is intended for an 'Educator' (i.e. a teacher's guide or professional development information) or a 'Learner' (i.e. a game or animation). In many cases it might be appropriate for both, in which case select 'Educator and learner'.
- The type of resource should be chosen from a controlled vocabulary at http://ns.nsdl.org/ncs/lar/1.00/schemas/vocabs/typeResource.xsd.
- The entity responsible for the resource's creation (as opposed to the metadata record) should be listed as contributor. Choose from Collection Developer, Creator, Editor, Funder, or Publisher as contributor role.
- Use the accessRestrictions field to indicate whether the resource is available for free, or by subsription or purchase using the controlled vocabulary: http://ns.nsdl.org/ncs/lar/1.00/schemas/vocabs/accessRestrictions.xsd
- Use the license field to describe the type of licensing for the resource's intellectual property rights. For its attribute license name, choose either from the controlled vocabulary at http://ns.nsdl.org/ncs/lar/1.00/schemas/vocabs/typeLicense.xsd or enter another value free-text. Choose from one or more of the controlled vocabulary for the other attribute, license property: http://ns.nsdl.org/ncs/lar/1.00/schemas/vocabs/property.xsd
- For questions and more information, please contact email@example.com