XML from the NSDL repository may be harvested using the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH), which is a standardized protocol for transferring and sharing metadata across open repository systems.
How to Harvest From NSDL
Access to the NSDL OAI data provider:
The NSDL OAI data provider has the following characteristics:
- The NSDL repository contains collections of educational resources, annotations, paradata (use data), and a collection of collection metadata (metadata about the collections). Each collection in the NSDL repository is made available as an OAI set.
- Sets/collections are added and removed from the repository occasionally (a few each quarter or so).
- The contents of some sets/collections change frequently (approximately monthly), while others remain relatively static.
- View the list of available OAI sets/collections using the OAI ListSets request.
- XML formats that are available from the repository include:
Tools used for harvesting:
- The jOAI tool may be used to harvest metadata to a file system.
- The OAI tools page lists additional tools that are available.
- For questions and more information, please send your inquiry to NSDL via the contact form
To learn about the OAI Protocol for Metadata Harvesting, see the following:
- jOAI - OAI harvester and data provider tool