We went to LC site this morning to replaced the EC100 but also to take a soil sample. Unfortunately, the corer got dented in the process of hammering it in. We managed to get a soil sample out, but John had a tough time prying all the inner rings out. You can see in the photo below the bottom part is dented out of shape:
Back at base, John made a valiant first attempt to see if the inner rings will fit back into the corer, but it's not trivial to get them all in, which means if we take a sample it'll be tough getting the samples out.
John is now vacuuming. I am observing and eating potato chips.