Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Yesterday, I finally grounded both the guy wire and the DSM.  However, I forgot that I had noticed the DSM being down and staying down the day before.  Thus, the DSM stayed down all day. The Ubiquiti was up and connected, according to the LEDs.  I also yesterday noticed an issue when I couldn't ping anything on our Marshall wifi network for an hour or so in the afternoon.  This problem went away later on.

This morning, I found the console port on the Pi to be unresponsive, so I did a power reboot to the DSM.  Everything seemed to come up okay, and we are getting ncharts data again.

As an additional precaution, I adjusted the Ubiquiti azimuth to point east of the station adaptor, to give it more beam separation from SPol.  I still had the full (4?) LED signal strength indicator.  With a ~30-degree half beam width for the NanoBeam, it still will see some SPol signal.

SPol ran briefly (one complete scan) while I was there and the DSM stayed up, but I don't know if SPol was transmitting.  We'll keep monitoring...

  • No labels

1 Comment

  1. Thanks for that Steve! I believe we're ready to accept that SPOL has been the problem, so we don't have to worry about having some other sort of stability issue.

    According to nagios, both ttstation and iss1station were down this past Saturday morning for about an hour, starting around 2021-08-28 09:11 MT. Therefore I assume SPOL was operating then, and that the adjustment of ttstation on Wed was not enough to prevent interference. Oh well. On the good side, the DSM has been up since you booted it Thursday morning, including through Saturday morning, so I assume the grounding and shielding has helped.

    I don't know what to make of the DSM being down and then the console port being unresponsive, but I'm willing to let it go for a while...